sábado, 28 de septiembre de 2013

Sweet Potato, Tofu, and Onion Mole

Again, no recipe. However, my recipe was adapted from an online one (link at bottom). Sorry, but I'd say it's rather impossible to find the ingredients in Japan. Mole is quite a culturally significant dish for me. Nobody I know in my family has ever made it from scratch, we have always relied on the pre-made jar of sauce. So for me to make it in Japan (using ingredients I brought back with me that my grandma and extended family helped me acquire when I visited this past summer) is sort of a personal accomplishment for me. Food for me is one of those things that touches our cores, and so the dried smoked chiles, the block chocolate, and the almonds in this recipe are more than just ingredients, they're expressions of my individual culture. Making the mole is how I pay respect to my roots, many of which I still don't know much about, while simultaneously creating my own traditions and customs. Mole is an ancient food, very complex in flavors, chock full of vitamins, incredibly stunning in color and fragrance, and of course, excellent in taste. So here's a picture of the beautiful mole I made today:



Not to mention, it came out so much better than the jar we are used to. I can't wait to make a fresh batch for my family. Here's the link to the recipe I used as a sort of "guideline," because of course I adapted it to my tastes. I also substituted oil for the lard to make it veggie friendly (another reason I'd prefer to make my own):

http://allrecipes.com.mx/receta/775/mole-poblano.aspx

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario